Anji was all about getting started teaching kids at a children's home ages ago (4 years ago to be precise)...... But our whole lot just being... Us.. replied ,"OK grl.. No probs!... We'll do it."... And that was the end of it. No more discussions regarding this. Period. Three years down the lane, Anji got thinking again and put it forward more seriously. This time was also donned by the same enthu replies. But with a difference... We were about to embark on it this time. In real.. And that was how D2R was born (D2R is short for Dream 2 Reality... in other words.. a glorified name for this dream project).
The 1st few weeks had many volunteers to go to the Divine Children's home (Thats the place we kick started our teaching project). But unfortunately, due to an onslaught of college festivals and other personal commitments, I was unable to make it for the first few teaching sessions. I didn't understand what the hype was all about... I mean.. Yes! I was waiting to help underprivileged kids and teach them english and bla bla bla...... But nothing prepared me for the the true joy of the experience I had today. It was oddly satisfying and fulfilling.. Even though I didn't do anything more than make one kid write the number 11 in words. Just listening to them speak and to be a part of their lives was a totally different emotion. It makes you think of the Lays chips ad - "No one can eat just one!!"...in terms of visiting this children's home it would say - "Noone can go just once!".
There was this one particular kid who kept asking for my mobile... I was at a loss when he told me he wanted to call his mum from my mobile.. And he knew the phone number by heart..... Emotionally wrenching moment!
Another kid was a deaf-mute.. But it seemed like he could absolutely understand what we were saying and he comprehended likewise. Thinking about him brings tears to my eyes.
I could go on and on....
It was one hell of an experience..
And I hope, in some way, I make a difference in their lives...
Quintessential end-of-season blues
7 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment